Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summery


Almost twenty years ago, I was partying with some sorta sketchy friends and one of them pulled this record from a stack of vinyl. It had one of those white record-outline circles starting to erode the cover. It was duly played and sorta freaked me out. Super-flowy Johnny Marr-ish highlife/samba guitar lines over a combo that was obviously Vince Guaraldi. Peanuts-y, but with Brazilian overtones.
The next day I woke up and forgot all about it for eleven years.
When Amazon was coming into popular usage - no, wait, I first found it while perusing CDNow! - I found it and realized it existed and that I indeed needed it. So I ordered it from a neighborhood record shop (ask an old what this is) and it was as I dimly recalled: beautiful. Eight tracks.
Just meaning to say that as summer starts to wind down and you think of having one more cookout with some peeps, this would a good starter soundtrack, maybe.
Also, while on the subject of Vince Guaraldi, what I REALLY need to track down is the music from It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!; not necessarily any jazzy stuff, but that creepy sad flute-based stuff from when The WWI Flying Ace is behind enemy lines. Must remember to look!

No comments: