Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stopped in 1994

When I was in high school, all the reader types read The World According to Garp.  You had to - it was sort of the rule.  I liked The Hotel New Hampshire when I was 16 (tried again a couple of years of ago and it's pretty crap) and Cider Hour Rules is good (or else I liked it in 1986, anyway), ...Owen Meany, though it's popular, sort of made me crazy, and I think the last one I got anything from was A Son of the Circus (and the only thing I remember was a nice description of an alcoholic's craving for red wine).  I also read the same 50 or so pages of Settiing Free the Bears several times (KLM airlines stub for bookmark from hs Europe trip) and the goofy A Widow For One Year.

Imagine my shock, then, that old John had a book out this year [In One Person] and I didn't even notice!

The man is reduced to wearing Under Armour in a bid to get my attention, even!:

No comments: