Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Belle and Sebastian blather

I had never seen Belle and Sebastian, but was one of those late 90's assholes who thought it was the Second Coming of the Smiths (never mind I was 28 at this time...christ!).  So, yeah, it was cool to see them and they were fucking amazing (constantly switching instruments like New Order in the "Perfect Kiss" video, singing their asses off perfectly, Stuart going into the crowd during "Lord Anthony" and applying fucking mascara to some bruiser while singing his ass off, etc).  The stage backdrop made me insane:


I wouldn't shut up about it to the point that the Bride, happy from a nice day and dizzy from the sun, said she would have a shower curtain made of it for me.  Aww. Turned out to be the cover of their soon-to-drop compilation LP (another one!):


Which is great, but not as good as it would have been if this was just the backdrop, with no other context.  No shower curtain needed, although I still would like the "sharps and clefs" one from F&Z.

Still, amazing, and in full misty isles fashion it started to rain gently and eventually to really rain and all the kids danced happily.  We left with what turned out to be about three songs left.  But that was fine.



This all drove me into a frantic reassessment of the B&S oeuvre, so those around me can set their alarms clocks to wake up when they are done being bored with that.  Plus, Chooch and I both need these:




No comments: