Monday, September 8, 2008

Barry Adamson

On Friday the loathesome Michael Buble was on the Today show, which drove me nuts, because I guess every generation needs its own Harry Connick Jr, who, thin voice aside, now seems like a grand old man compared to the fresh hell of this Duhamel-alike. The sheer turnout also was vexing, because all the girls were just so ready to be charmed by this cheeseball.

Anyway, I found myself wondering if, in some string-theory-y way, there was another Today show on somewhere wherein the actually for-real talented Barry Adamson was getting his due. Barry is a protege of Nick Cave, but sort of outshines Cave by about fifty miles, says me. Sorta big-bandy/soundtracky, but all in all truly gifted in a way that the average song and dance dorks of today who show up at you local family-friendly community venues are not. And the song topics addressed tend to be a bit, I dunno, seedier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcLUoY_9ZU

The whole of Mr Adamson's new record is great.

This also makes we wonder why Terence Trent D'arby could have blown it so badly, but he's probably right now flying to Dubai to sing "Sign Your Name" to some princes or some such, so I will shut up.

No comments: