Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Enough reverence, thanks



Here is a pic from Pitchfork today (c and p them, yes) of some of Wilco and Fleet Foxes covering a Dylan song.

1.) note the sincere ear-plugging, to find proper pitch

2.) Nice circle-be-unbroken folksy stances all around...

3.) Dylan is the most over-rated (yes, over-, not under-) songwriter of all time, overtaking no 2 (Lou Reed) by a mile

4.) The band members' English-lit prof aunts at Columbia or wherever are smiling wryly, glad to see the kids paying respect to the masters...

See, I can't even get my thoughts collected enough to get across to you how much this sucks, actually, as I am like a cobra spewing venom on a flatscreen, and the screen is scarcely visible for the vitriol. Regardless, the mawkish reverence in this photo is more than one man can take. This reminds me also of when I see a teenager in an AC/DC or Pink Floyd shirt or the like (even Pistols or the ubiqituous Misfits skull) I want to shake them and bring my standard scold to the fore, to wit: if it was 1971 and Who's Next was just out but you insisted on listening to music that was 30 years old, you'd be listening to Glenn Miller.

Like the man said, retro is killing culture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA18xHStrQA

No comments: