Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pet Sematary (yep)

Stephen King is sort of beyond even passe now, other than his backpage column he had (has?) in Entertainment Weekly where he'll do stupid shit like endorse the Hold Steady. Well, probably, I didn't see that he did this, but their brand of lousy John Cafferty barroom dreck seems like something he'd drool over. Or a sweeping endorsement of some probably good (but not as good as he would like to make it seem) tv show like, I dunno, Rescue Me or something. But even now acres of virgin trees are falling in advance of the publication of his next listless opus, as they keep coming: Lisey's Story, Cell [cell phone terror/horror! gasp! the timeliness!] Duma Key (what?), The Gingerbread Girl and now another story collection (Just After Sunset), which I will end up buying 4 cheep sometime, because I have the others and there is usually at least one keeper in those, even at this late date...

Anyway. What I mean to say is, even though he may still be plodding along writing books no one much notices, Pet Sematary is still just about the creepiest thing I have ever read, or intend to. It always reminds me of this time of year as it starts at back-to-school season, and it is unrelenting in its tracking of one family's downward spiral into (yes) horror. Just mercilessly godawful! AKA: recommended!

No comments: