Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Walking manners

Here's something:

Even when you are walking with the WALK signal at a traffic crossing, that does not mean you should walk as slowly as possible, all zombified. Step it up a little so that drivers can make a right turn on red.

Oho!, but no, drivers are not free of the lashing of my severe tongue!

1. If you are turning right into somewhere, such as a doctor's bldg or shopping center, do not come to a near-complete halt. It doesn't matter if you are old and frightened. Stay home if that's the case.

2. If you are on a highway or large street and construction has the thoroughfare going down a lane or two, if you are one of those monsters who will drive all the way up to the bottleneck (often on the shoulder, and at an excessive speed) to try to nose your way in, let it be known that I WILL NEVER LET YOU IN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Test me. Let's say I was somehow* jabbed with a curare dart, and your rude ass somehow had the antidote that would keep me alive, which would be administered on the other side of the blockage. Too bad for me, I guess, because I would still not let you in.

That's right, I'm willing to die for this.

(On a not-too-similar note, it bears mentioning that yesterday someone called attention to the fact that I will sometimes wear argyle socks and how the "preppy look" was "in this fall!" What? I have spent my entire life trying to get to a state where matters sumptuary are not an issue, and one just dresses a certain way regardless of the shifting winds of cool. Maybe in a world where people don't use turn signals there are such vague notions as fashion? Tragic!)

* that is to say, someone tried to make it seem an accident

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nick! It's you! Hey, it's Scott Ricketts from high school. How are things? Zap me an email at scottricketts@gmail.com sometime.