Friday, November 13, 2009

The Berlin Wall Story


In my mind, I tend to put the fall of the Berlin Wall a couple of weeks earlier...I had a girlfriend at school who was from from Cleveland and on a three-day weekend when I was home, she happened past to have dinner with me and my parents. Like any good Amnesty International (remember them?) member, this sweet girl professed her vegetarianism, along with an admiration for Rattle and Hum. This did not stop my mother from serving a medium rare leg of lamb. No, it did not stop her at all. J_____ queasily but gamely had a few bites (does this make her a vegetarian, technically?). Somehow, I always associate these events with wall coming down, though, logically I know that the Night of the Rare Lamb had to be in October.

We broke up not long after this, though she was the frequent recipient of Drunk Dials ca. summer 1994, a particularly terrible time for me, in a Lester Bangs sense. Bless you, J_____, if you are out there, in some cyber-world of your own making!

So that is the Berlin Wall Story!

No comments: