Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Eli Janney Story

Back in the 90's, there were Breeders and GBV and Brainiac.  My crappy little band Mink was on the rung below "real."  Twas ever thus!  I think it was because my parents never divorced.

Anyway, Brainiac had some records produced by Eli Janney, who played in Girls Against Boys.  Girls Against Boys were New Yorkers and sorta "Cute Band Alert"-y, although they didn't ever take off to a huge extent.  I think they had two bass players, maybe, but am too lazy to look it up.

Tim from Brainiac got killed in a car crash, and it was terrible for all involved (especially Tim). 

About a year and half later, we were playing at Mercury Lounge in New York and I saw old Eli Janney standing at the bar and gamboled over and said I was an old friend of Tim Taylor's, that we had just played and here was a copy of our new CD that he might like, that the first song was sort of about Tim dying and how his death rather permeated the whole thing, to much indifferent nodding (though we had met before - I'm sure if I was an actual "Cool Person" and a Guinness-drunk 1998 me was bothering me I would not have been as polite as Eli was, probably).

I think Eli maybe has something to do with Akashic books or some other New York Bowery-ish press, one that cares about Bukowski or something.  Anyway, yesterday I said "I'll be goddamned" as I perused the paper:













I guess even Cool People end up drinking Starbucks at the PTA!

No comments: