Thursday, February 16, 2012

Yet more utter uselessness



Paul McCartney tried to up the shitness stakes on Ringo with his album of songs he liked as a kid, which sucks entirely and supplants my covers album of my youthful faves ("Moving Out," "Popcorn," "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow") handily.

Was looking at this steaming dross-stack at S___bucks yesterday when my eye was caught by a new Seal album. Of covers. Of soul standards.

Now, I have been firmly in the Seal = Crap camp since that "Crazy" song came out, but that was because Trevor Horn was wasting his time producing it, instead of living in the Pet Shop Boys's house as Third Pet and sleeping in a sunken floor pit like John Lennon in Help!. The slick-and-totally-without-bite gloss of Seal music was lost on me, and, in point of fact, the man only has two songs: "Crazy" and "A Kiss from a Rose," which - wasn't that from the Batman movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr Freeze? Uh, too lazy to see, but wiki yields this:



"Kiss from a Rose" is a song from Seal's second eponymous album Seal (aka Seal II).
The song was first released as a single in July 1994.
Re-released in 1995, it was included on the Batman Forever
film soundtrack
, helping it top the charts in the U.S. and Australia. It
took the 1996 Grammy Awards for both
Record of the Year and Song of the Year. Seal also won Best Male Pop Vocal
Performance.

Good god, I'm surprised it didn't win again this year.



Earlier today, on a message board I haunt, someone asked "Who actually likes Train?" and it's a good question! I will ask it of Seal, although I think I know: she's the lonely 33-year old in your office who doesn't care about the Heidi divorce, because, omigod, listen to his VOICE, you guys [grabs friend's jean leg in passenger seat of 2000 Hyundai after one-too-many marshmallow vodkas as "K.F.a.R." comes on local computer-programmed radio outlet].

I dunno, I'm in way deep here...point is, if you need to hear Seal doing "Lean on Me," I envy you. Your life is apparently peaceful in a way that mine is not.



And, also, Batman himself can go to hell as well, for both this travesty AND for the fact that the 1989 Batman soundtrack pretty much ended Prince. SIGH.

No comments: