Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The My Morning Jacket Story

Went to see Foo Fighters and My Morning Jacket and Burning Brides one time in 2003.  There must have been four bands, because Pete Yorn was playing ping-pong backstage. Lost my green Swiss army knife to the then-diligent security people, lest I hijack the gig.  A friend was running sound for Burning Brides and I was with a certain beagle-like drummer whose old band had toured with Nirvana back in the day so it would serve for him as a reunion of sorts with Dave Grohl (a box of Qwisp cereal was brought along as a joke from back in the day).

It Still Moves wasn't out yet, and I only knew little bits from Magnet about MMJ in general, but their set floored me.  SO much reverb.  Just bottomless.  As I drank the entirety of the Foo Fighters' rider, I said to old Dave Grohl: "You love Supergrass, right?" [I'd read this in an old Select when In It for the Money came out]

DG: "Sure!"

Me: "Well, these guys are like a Southern Supergrass!"

Dave Grohl looked askance at me, as the bands are nothing alike.

This was before I told the guy from MMJ who was Jim James's cousin that they could take my then-wife on the road with them, in a "joy division" sense.  Sure, why not? chortle, chortle, and then other Lester Bangs-ian blackout behavior ensued.  Made it to work, though!

Which is a long way of saying that I heard a new Jim James solo track on the (public) radio at lunch, it sucked and that we should all just live in fear of the day that he and Jack White make a record together and Rolling Stone craps all over themselves at the "authenticity."

No comments: