Friday, May 6, 2011

Plate joiner




As I amass tools slowly, I want to specifically concentrate on the ones that have very limited uses...any schmoe can buy a hammer, for god's sake.





I lost my mind when Kyle turned me on to (and, in turn, let me turn on) the plate joiner (or biscuit joiner) when we were assembling his kitchen counter last week (has it really been seven days since I last held this wonder, straight down from the firmament?). It cuts semi-circular divots in the side of your board, which you can then fill with wood glue and what is called a biscuit [hello, Marge]. The other board you are joining board one to has another divot exactly opposite, and the whole thing comes together like the tongue-and-groove option with the chartreuse "ties" on an old Hot Wheels track set. The biscuits, further, expand when in contact with the glue and you come back in a bit and whammo!, the whole thing is now ONE BOARD.





The best thing is: this tool has NO OTHER USES.





It is the best!

My birthday is May 19, btw.



1 comment:

Rob said...

I have that same Dewalt model...you can use it any time.