Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ralph Van Warhol [returned post]

I may have mentioned this phenomenon in the past, but: how many original lineup Van Halen albums were there? Six? So, not having owned any of them (although I did listen to my older brother's cassette of the first one from when he was in the navy when I was about 11), I am constantly surprised to always hear some original Van Halen song that I have never heard of, which usually have titles like "Little Guitars" and "Stone Cold Ice Buggin'" or whatever. How is this possible? I mean, like anyone, I went to parties in basements ca. '82, so must have heard every last p.o.s. VH choon at some point. But, and it never stops, there is always one more lurking out there. WEIRD.


Similarly, between books and museum trips and having an avid interest, there is always another weird Warhol thing I've never seen. Last time it was cats. But what the hell is this?:







Likely done as part of some ill-conceived "sports series" that Fred and Bob dreamed up, but still: I bet Andy saw Ralph at Lutece or Four Seasons and thought "Oooh! Ralph's so handsome and riiich, I should do a picture for one of his stores..."



Not the actual logo, either, but pretty damn close, so if He didn't want it, it could be tucked away somewhere.



All this said, I bet one of these hangs in the Manager's Office at Dylan's Candy Store. Someone cue up "Sinner's Swing!"

No comments: