Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Live-blogging some Tapatio Doritos




Okay, Kyle is back from California with some Tapatio Doritos.

Let's see:



11:40 am: Considering bag.



11:41 am: getting orange LaCroix from work fridge. My head is pulsing with excitement.

11:42 am: as ready as I will ever be, I suppose. Opening bag.




11:43 am: sniff



11:44 am: my first thought is that they taste like a modified version of Taco flavored Doritos, then I smile and slap my forehead, realizing that the reverse is actually true: Tapatio hot sauce has an undercurrent of Taco flavored Dorito-ness, one I had not put my finger on until now.



11:45 am: Oh, yes, three or four chips in, it's love.




11:46 am: Kyle said last night coming back from airport that they give you heartburn before you've even swallowed them, hoping/praying it's true...



11:46:30 am: Considering "bi-coastal" lifestyle, so as to be assured access to these no matter what happens...



11:47 am: Just noticed that these are labelled in Spanish first:





TOTOPOS DE MAIZ
TORTILLA CHIPS




11:48 am: FULLY SATED and half a small (2.125 oz) bag to go. Fantasizing of an America even more polymorphously diverse, where I can acquire Vindaloo, Panang and Lingonberry Doritos. VOTE!

11:49 am: NOT super-burny, but then neither is Tapatio itself...

11:50 am: wondering if these would do well with the habanero salsa I have at home, but they really don't need it...



11:51 am: oh, the settled broken bits of these, with extra seasoning adhering...amazing!

11:53 well, that was a wonderful experience.



I'm forced to believe that whatever market/branding wizard at Frito-Lay who worked this crossover deal had to have done it with this William Blake quote in mind:


He who binds himself to a joy
Does the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity's sunrise

No comments: