Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Newsweek

I like the Newsweek redesign, reeking of nervous desperation as it does. I thought the Colbert issue was a stupid idea, but in general it looks good.

Yesterday I was really excited* that they had the stones to keep their cover story on Books (big news!) and just had a little corner box on Mike Jackson's death on the cover, then I cracked said issue and the editor says "The newsstand edition will feature a Jackson cover." I was more stoked that they were all thinking, "no, we worked on this feature on these new-fangled whatsits...what are they, Alice? Books, you say? Yes, these books...and damn if some rock and roller croaking is going to push our hard work off the cover!" But, y'know, market forces, etc.

Also, on their 50 Books You Should Read list: Underworld? Really? I mean, it's good, maybe great, but...I dunno, what's in their Music You Should Check Out? Cornershop?

And Trollope. Um, okay. Although he did write a book called Can You Forgive Her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qKKyXxmcM0


* Yes, like could not sit down excited! No.

No comments: