Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Priorities!


Our city is in bad shape, with household-name businesses pulling out and rampant crime and such. Where to even start? The general worldwide economic mess has just exacerbated a winding down that has been going on for twenty-five years. Jobs are needed, yes. But a more important question that "how do we bring in new companies and work?" is "what can we do to keep the attractive people here?"


I expect most cities the size of D_____ and its environs have the same problem - lots of good-looking youngsters, most of whom leave for bigger, better places or go to a college in a real place and never come back. I don't know where they actually end up, as they are not intrinsically more talented or whatever, but I would guess there are all sorts of secret enclaves where the attractive congregate.


So: how can D_____ make itself more attractive to the attractive? I don't care about jobs or crime, even. If the people having shootouts and slinging illegal drugs around or wandering aimlessly were just more appealing to the eye, the rest of it (jobs, etc) would fall into place! Not that I would get to stay - if there were a mandatory "must be THIS goodlooking to stay" sign/chart as at a roller-coaster line to measure height, I would be run out of town on a special "goblin train" (and why is there not one of these?).


Still, even from a great distance where my giant, misshapen noggin and I were banished, I could see the sheen on the horizon of my hometown and the Beautiful Ones who would reside there.
(image via the greatest [and, yes, most necessary] web site I've ever come across: http://www.10yearsofbeingboring.com/)

No comments: