Wednesday, July 29, 2009

North by Northeast

This happened to me.

I was in the Subway at the nearby strip mall that is dying. Its 1988-looking Walmart is closed; a new superstore has just opened a mile away. The hangers-on are few. So, a sad milieu.

Lady ahead of me is fussing a bit over her coupon. The girl working says "Okay, ma'am, we'll take it this time...I'll call my manager and she what she says to do in the future."

I get my sarnie and the girl then looks at me, sizes me up and asks "Would you call this northeast Ohio?"

NE: [looks around to make sure he's the one being spoken to]: "Me? No."

"I mean..."

NE: "Northeast is Cleveland. This is southwest."

"Her coupon was for northeastern Ohio. I didn't know whether to take it."

We are living in a world where the citizenry don't know what corner of the state they live in. Because it doesn't matter!

No comments: