Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I shan't be apologizing


I have loved McRib since 1982. Yes, McDonald's is the nastiest, most vile corporation on earth, and their food is many, many times deadlier than plutonium. Yes. But I still love the McRib. And I guess it's now a hot thing, because a friend and follower of the blog sent the McRib locator link (http://kleincast.com/maps/mcrib) and there was an article in the WSJ yesterday (I think) about the Followers of the McRib.


Which is all well and good, but I need to make clear that, just as with such sometimes-not-so-hot trends as "penny loafers" and "reading" or "Heaven 17 fandom," I have not veered off-course in the 28 (!) years since I first partook of one of these nasty things. I don't say this expecting accolades or flowery encomiums; I just wish to make the record clear.


I also have a soft spot for McDonald's because after September 11, 2001, when I was basically out of my mind, the commercial they had for their lame steak sandwich (never had one!) with the mild Ferris Bueller's dad-looking guy in a tie and jacket saying "Who's cooking steak?" was the only thing that kept me remotely centered.

1 comment:

Mary said...

One of my favorite quotes from "The Osbournes" is when Jack & Kelly are driving around in their limo, too young to actually drive themselves, partying a la Hollywood velvet rope-style, and they drive past a McDonald's in the wee hours of the morning, whereas Jack spots the McSign/marquee out front and says, reverently, sotto voce, "McRib is BACK!"

So, Mr. Eddy, I guess you're in semi-OK company with this. ;)