Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hot, Hot, Hot


I mentioned the Cure last October 31st, as I'm sure you remember.

Not my favorite band ever, but still crucial to one's 80's high school experience, when slinking about in a long "Echo and the Bunnymen" coat and reading fucking The Fountainhead.

When I heard it was going to 450 degrees this week, I immediately went to the external hard drive to liberate Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, which, though the Cure is a very rainy-day band, is a record that always puts me in mind of high summer.  "Torture" makes me think of cutting the grass at 783 Willowdale.  "Hot, Hot, Hot!!!" [three exclamation points] reminds me of hanging out in air conditioning-free, pot-befogged houses on Chambers and Alberta streets, hoping no one noticed I didn't know how to skateboard.  "All I Want" was the soundtrack to my teenage broken heart (along with Descendents' All, of all things).

Anyway, last week was on Standing on the Beach.  Let's all pray that this unbecoming "Cure phase" is brief!

No comments: