Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Icicle Works Story




Listening to the first Icicle Works record yesterday,





[he wrote]

I was crowded in with memories of ninth grade and riding my bike hither and yon, dangling a full-on old-fashioned mono cassette recorder, blasting, like, Quadrophenia and The Wall, and later, shit like Echo and the Bunnymen and Heaven 17.



I also remembered going to a friend's and saying "Wow, you guys should see [my then dentist's son and classmate]'s stereo!"



He had, like, good speakers and a real turntable. Compared to my one-piece turntable/cassette/receiver doodad, which was not Tandy but close.

The two guys I was telling this to sort of looked at each other and conversation moved to other things. Later, while listening to (probably) Yes or Billy Idol Rebel Yell, I noticed that the friend whose house i was at had a freaking Bang and Olfsun turntable and, like, really real stereo shit. Stuff that made my drooling over Toothy Jr's "good stuff" seem sad. In his bedroom, not even like his family's or whatever.

That was how I learned about Class Distinctions.

Anyway, that I never got laid until my thirties is no surprise, then.

No comments: