Thursday, September 29, 2011

Two things about late 1991




1. Okay, in 1991, I was pretty much out of my mind: all my friends had graduated or were graduating from college, I was still in my college town, delivering pizza and simply drinking my head off.


Passing out under the stars (literally - like in someone's yard), with a 22-year-old sense of broken-hearted doom afoot. That sort of thing.



Fortunately, Metropolitan came out on VHS and we could rent it from the video store across the street (the same video store that once sent a squad car to retrieve out beyond-overdue copy of Uncle Buck). I watched it about seven hundred times and survived and (eventually) flourished!

Watched this last night, under mild protestation of the Bride, who was making some sort of liner for our bassinette/Moses basket thing (whatever that is).



My point? Had never noticed that Audrey is reading The Rector of Justin when they are at Von Sloneker's under the sunlamp! I have the same edition, and, given how the fates work, likely the very same copy!

2. All this babble about Nevermind being twenty years old (and I swear, the first time my friend "Meatman" Pete rode up on his Yamaha and made me listen to his Walkman to hear "...Teen Spirit" [which I had already heard on 97X a bunch], I actually said: "Hmm, Sounds like the Pixies...", and this was a full two years after I heard "Wave of Mutilation" on the radio at the U-Shop and said to him "Is this new Jesus and Mary Chain?"), no one has said a thing about it being 20 years on for Trip Shakespeare's Lulu (np).

And that is because no one cares!

Except Morgan.

No comments: