Friday, December 23, 2011

A follower writes:






As per your own blog:

* per a cursory glance at the internet -
maybe he's stopped liking them and hangs out with Adam Duritz, the singer for
Maroon 5 and Tim Allen.

He is not the singer for Maroon 5 AND Tim Allen. I WANT MY OXFORD COMMA!



Hmm. Well, I regret if anyone was offended by this. My take is that if there is ambiguity the oxford or serial comma should be used. I saw no ambiguity, and would guess that our readers here, some of the most wonderful and intelligent creatures ever to exist, would feel likewise. The "singer for Maroon 5" line (Adam Levine, actually) was just a bit of denigrating or dismissiveness.

Again, we here at Nick Eddy Relents submit our apologies if this rankled.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I, too, am firmly in the Oxford comma camp, though I doubt that its reintroduction will rescue NER from ambiguity.