Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The ramshackleness of the Who



It's that time of year when I put "Christmas" off Tommy on mix CD's for the truck, so I have had the Who in mind. The 13-year old me would have called the Who my favorite group! This to be contrary to the new knee-jerk Beatles'n'Stones responses one would still get ca. '82 (this was before Creed and Flo-Rida [sp?]).

What gets me now, though, is just how a.) crappily recorded so much of their output was - like almost-but-not-quite mono-made-stereo ish, b.) how I could have thought Keith Moon was the greatest drummer ever, when the correct answer about greatest drummers is actually "who cares?" and c.) WHERE is Pete Townshend on so much of the material? I understand and like Pete's place in the canon, I do - but his sort-of rhythm guitar playing is sometimes scarcely audible and not very powerful on a lot of it...not that everyone should be weedle-weedling leads all over every last square inch of sonic space or anything, but, lord, Pete, show up!

Maybe that was what all the jumping was for?

No comments: