Friday, January 27, 2012

Perils of microfame, pondered

I forget who, but a few years back some wag modified Warhol's Maxim to "In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people." Or have 29 followers!


But this occurred to me today, as I thought about how quickly now memes come on, flourish and fade. Even the most original ideas are parody-fodder in less than an hour. Which is fine, I guess.



But it makes me think of the olden days, when a band, say, could know that they were getting ready to ride the rollercoaster o' fame, or actresses in the "starmaking" era would know that in mere days or weeks, their lives would change forever.

Earlier today I saw this:















I'm not on tumblr (should be, yes - you might actually be reading this if I were!) or pinterest or Pinteresque or any of the like, but I wonder if, on the morning of the 23rd, when this went up (http://www.junk-culture.com/2012/01/art-of-alex-gross.html ), old Alex Gross had that feeling of "hey! I'm meme-able!" and that his 72 hours of cyber-buzz were indeed starting, possibly to grow bigger into some impossible-to-imagine Shepard Fairey-style VF partydom, or maybe to be the apex of his career and then back to the trenches of working at the campus bookstore/art supply place (probably).


Either way, microfame sounds dangerous. I mean, look what happened to the poor guy who pulled that girl out of the well! Or her, even.

No comments: