Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A.L.

And, if, heaven forfend, la famille Newhouse does shut down the New Yorker?

Who will give safe harbor to all the cartoonists, er, drawing makers?, etc?

How many thoughtpieces will be launched on topic of "lifespan of Updike nearly parallels lifespan of the New Yorker?"

Where will I go for all my poke boat needs, and all the other bits and bobs advertised in those tiny ads in the back (this is where I first heard of Blenheim ginger ale, for cry yi!)?

And, most importantly, what would become of Anthony Lane?

He's the very last rampart against the barbarians out there!

And, for the love of Pete, let the magazine go on until he has enough pieces for a sequel to Nobody's Perfect!

I actually think the best case scenario, if closure is unavoidable, would be to have huge jumbotrons, telescreenlike in their unavoidability, anywhere you look, with Anthony Lane just talking and saying witty things all the time. I mean, I'd like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V64p7HUEhBY

No comments: