Monday, February 23, 2009

Shirley Jackson

Love this cover! No, not saying I love this cover, I'm telling you to!

Reading Haunting of Hill House, among other things, and was happy to find a passage wherein an adult laments missing the sensation of being bored in the summer, listless summer afternoons, that sort of stuff. Was happy to find this because I think of it a lot. When was the last time I was bored? Who has the time to be bored? The young, I suppose.

Also, from Wikipedia, this is good:

Jackson's husband, Stanley Edgar Hyman,
wrote in his introduction to a posthumous anthology of her short stories that
"she consistently refused to be interviewed, to explain or promote her work in
any fashion, or to take public stands and be the pundit of the Sunday
supplements." That she thought it meant something, and something subversive,
moreover, she revealed in her response to the Union of South
Africa
's banning of "The Lottery": "She felt," Hyman says, "that they at
least understood."


I need that collegtion [sic] above.

No comments: