Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yet more JU stuff

Yes, he's still gone. Still shocked, really. Last week, when my wife had a cold, I half-dreamed that the wheezing next to me came from a giant Shillingtonian schnozzola laying there, just a giant JU beak...well, no, I didn't really.

Anyway, Jill Krementz (widow of KV, doncha know) took pics of Updike at various times over the last two hundred years and there is a collection of same here:



And, really, they are worth a peek, even to detractors...for reasons like: how to look good in a sack-suit even when Sgt Pepper's is already out; the Beard; hey, look! John Cheever!; what Martha actually looks like (fetching!), and a gander at those infamous Maple[strikethrough] Updike kids.*

This sorta killed me, though...is there any way that this:



















isn't a joke tribute to this?**:










Other than, this being Updike, he's in the midst of making a vulgar gesture toward a wayward housewife just out of frame...

* and just remembered mid-afternoon to add a mention of the average, generic 1979-ness of their kitchen (fridge magnets!), etc!
** oh! Jpeg is labeled JU + Warhol so I'm not crazy after all.


No comments: