Friday, October 9, 2009

The perfect listen


When did I first hear of the perfect listen? Was it the autumn we lived in the china tree? No - an earlier autumn then, when I - what? What was I saying?

Oh! Perfect listen.

Don't know about you, but sometimes I will have a listening to a song, where it so fits my mood, or maybe a confluence of circumstance and atmospheric condition occurs, that that particular playing is so good that it sort of hits a zenith of how good that song can be for me, never to recapture its former glory. Like, when you have a new song in your life, you're way into it, but you're cautious not to overplay and thus kill it.

I was all into that "I Can Be a Frog" song by Flaming Lips [which I don't believe is out yet? Sorry, Warner Brothers! Just substitute "She's Always in My Hair" by Prince if this rankles] and then last Sunday, the weather was fantastic and the air was just right and it came on my iPod knockoff as I was driving to my old parents' hovel and i was so hit with a skin-crawling feeling of rightness and the intersection of song and moment that the song has not sounded as good since.

Anyway, does this happen to anyone else?

Glad to say that new Clientele is not dead yet!

No comments: