Friday, October 16, 2009

A thought on that balloon kid thing


My first thought when the balloon kid was going on, a la a baby down a well, was "That goddamn Pixar makes those Up! movies and this sort of thing will happen! There will be more of this!"



Then I thought of ABC's awful 1989 record Up, which blew utterly except for "Where is the Heaven?" I had looked forward to it, but its stale-on-arrival house pianos and puny drum machines very much disappointed. But Thao Nguyen's new record is great, and it arrived at the same point of the year this year that the ABC mess did twenty years ago. SO, 2009 actually, in toto of records I've really liked, actually BEATS 1989, the heretofore standard-bearer!

This is actually what I thought, while the Breaking News red-bar was still up on CNN.com!

No comments: