Friday, October 9, 2009

RIP, Gourmet


I subscribed to Gourmet for years, although we now get Bon Appetit on my mother-in-law's Christmas-gift dime. But Gourmet was the real deal. The September 2001 60th anniversary issue was subsequently sort of ignored when some vague matters of exceedingly little consequence occurred later that month (apparently?), but there were great selections from articles over the mag's then-six decades. The article I really liked, about riding around catching lobsters in 1946 in the September night, is collected in the best-of book, which came out a couple of years ago. So I will have that and my memories.

Gawker is keeping a Conde Nast death watch, adding magazine covers to a mosaic graphic as titles are shitcanned. Didn't know Cottage Living was gone. But I wonder how many of these people bemoaning the Death of Magazines actually bought, subscribed or even read any of these titles. Touting the glory of all this new non-revenue creating media is fine, but bemoaning the demise of the old and the passing of an era, etc, is bullshit if you did nothing to help stop it.

End of sermon - for now!!!!

No comments: