Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Drag (Gem) City


Gem City Records is closing! Not that it's been the same for a long time - just that, at the original location (across the street), so many amazing things happened: bought Lowlife on vinyl the week it came out in 1985 (for 4.95!), came home from Spring Break in Bermuda and bought Louder than Bombs and Sign O' The Times the same day...indeed, it was there that I found out the Smiths had broken up. From Todd Robinson, no less. Oh, man.


I think the last time I bought a stack of shit there was 2005 (Weezer Make Believe* and Spoon Gimme Fiction), other than oddball head-shop style gifts and a used dvd of Clueless one day when the Bride was having a crappy workday and needed a boost. Still, drag.


* still not as terrible as it's made out to be

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Memories... That one guy saying "you should check out this Poses record" and it changed my DNA for life! Also that very very expensive import copy of Pulp-We Love Life I had to have one week before the U.S. release date (worth every penny). Next thing you'll tell me 112 Jones has been torn down!!!