Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Nick Eddy Regrets: Don Trachte

I had a post some time this year, maybe, about how shitty the comic strip Henry was and how poor Don Trachte (who drew it on Sundays) was a sad character because all his wiki bio had to say was that he had produced an exact copy of Norman Rockwell's breaking home ties - my supercilious assumption being that, y'know, so what?


Well, I found out recently that this was quite intriguing, in reality - his kids found the original stashed in a wall and the one that was on display was an exact copy that Trachte had forged, maybe to fend off lawyers in a divorce settlement. Or something like that - not even Don T's kids knew for sure, and they certainly never knew Pops could paint like that.


Original:












Forgery:













Crazy, right? So, anyway, I owe poor Don Trachte a mea culpa from Nick Eddy Relents and whoever wrote his misleading Wiki bio should have thumbscrews applied, etc.

Also, I tried my hand at a counterfeit of the counterfeit:


No comments: