Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Nick Eddy Relents - 100% written by me

A controversy of sorts was floating around Andrew Sullivan's site this week, as it was made known anew that Sully didn't necessarily write all posts his own self. Some of his assistants write posts as well, but individual credits aren't given unless the boss is on vacation/sabbatical. The folks writing these other posts don't seem to care, but there was an outcry from readers who seemed to feel they were getting some sort of shaft (heh).

I'm here to tell you that this blog remains 100% the creation of me - barring responses to those dumb interviews I've started, where the interviewee's answers are this/her own. And all this is done without a support staff or anything. And it's free!

Seriously, I get up around 1am to start preparing for the day. Will I talk about how great the "new" Prefab Sprout record is, I ponder? Do I finally write about the unfindable book on Greek myths from my second grade classroom that I still search for when bored, even though I have no idea what it was called or really what it looked like (just that I loved it)? Do I continue to ignore that golf guy who did something or whatever? Do I anger the populace by saying we should refer to "the new 2/18*" instead of the "new 9/11?"

Then I spend hours poring over pictures, trying to make sure I have the optimum visuals to offset the scintillating prose I am crafting in some other midbrain.

Then I go in the conference room at work, and, like Lorne Michaels paring down an SNL, I whittle down the possible candidates for entries to something manageable, occasionally moving from chair to chair, playing various roles of: J Jonah Jameson/Herbert Ross-like "editor," shouting, pointing and calling certain ideas out as "foolish;" the up-and-coming bushy-tailed "writer," who wants to imprint this new-fangled "internet" with his fresh and original take on language, and the strident "ombudsman" who acts as the Voice of the Reader, saying, yes! yes!, we want to know exactly how Nick Eddy felt about A Moveable Feast or why the Hold Steady sucks such copious c-ck. All this while having to, say, get up and go to the breakroom to try to dab away a drop of oil that fell from some olives I was lunching on onto a newish Brooks crewneck [as happened about the second sentence of this 'graph].

So, as you can see, there is SO much that goes on to bring this vital communique to you nigh-daily.

I mentioned it's free, yes?


* death of Dale Earnhardt