Friday, February 12, 2010

Can't we all just face it?


Silence of the Lambs is terrible. Why? Because it makes no sense.


When Lecter kills that cop and strings him up on the cage in the time it takes an elevator to get upstairs, and arranges a "Janie's Got a Gun"-video's worth of spooky lighting, I say bullshit! And the whole "suspense" scene where the FBI pro's are busting into the house in Illinois while Clarice is at the real killer's house - what? And Clarice making the intuitive leap that said goon is "making a dress of women" because she sees the dress with the tape-diamonds on it and then realizes that it must be the neighbor...oh, whatever, fuck it, it sucks. Sucks.


I do like Scott Glenn, though. He's good and it gives me an idea (he wrote) for a new, new genre of picture: take two actors in roles one likes and put the characters together in a movie with a new plot. Like, Scott Glenn's FBI dude and Chris Cooper's cop from Lone Star and have them doing something, like, I dunno, going in together on a minor league baseball team franchise. Or James Mason as Van Damm in North by Northwest in a chess tournament against Charles Grodin's doctor from Rosemary's Baby. I'd watch that. Sure, James Mason is dead. So what? Use a computer.


Anyway, SotL came out on Valentine's Day 1991, meaning it's nineteen years old, so I should not care to remind myself how much I hate it, but I must. I must.

No comments: