Friday, April 1, 2011

April IS the cruelest month


Okay, I had an idea for a post where I would suggest a painting series for some young artist out there, who, sensibly enough, would come to this blog for his/her sole inspiration. My idea was this: you know how sometimes when a browser is slow to load, and you scroll down quickly before the loading is done and the picture is just streaks of color until it all catches up? Well, someone should do a Barnett Newman-ish painting OF that. Then they could put a little print next to it of what the painting/picture is really of. See, my syntax is already falling apart.


The problem is, today of all days, my browser refuses to do this (which I don't normally want it to do, yet it does) so I can't get the phone pic I need to illustrate this! Grrr!


AND I was going to have lofty comparisons to some technique from the 1600's wherein the a painting on canvas is laid flat on the table and the painting is just swirled smears, but when a tubular mirror is placed on the center of the canvas, the picture (maybe of some people in powdered wigs getting out of a carriage with birds overhead, eg) become visible/recognizable in the mirror. Problem is, I have no idea how to search for this on the World Wide Web. My searches [medieval painting technique mirror, for one] proved to be fruitless. I do have a picture of said phenom in an old Time/Life Science book on mathematics, but it is in a box in my mother-in-law's basement. Double grrr!


BUT - should I not be willing to go to her house (twenty minutes away) and get this book, scan the picture and have this post at least half-complete?


Lazy bastard!

No comments: