Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Where are "Stuart Murdoch's Top Ten Felt Songs"?

I used to read Rolling Stone all the time, I mean for about fifteen years, from 1984 - 2001 or so. Like anyone with a brain, David Fricke made me sick, and the Respect Paid to old friends of Jann's (Boz Scaggs!) was grating, but still: it was Rolling Stone and chances are there would be something worth looking at in any given issue. That one from 1990 with B52s on the cover, and the articles on both Twin Peaks and some crazy guy in his 30's from El Paso who conned his way into Duke by posing as a Rothschild still stands as a pinnacle of human endeavo(u)r.

As reviews got smaller and more soundbite-y and the then the magazine itself shrunk to standard magazine size, I lost more interest. Wait, before that. I don't think I have bought an issue of Rolling Stone since 2002, probably.


So I was at the Rekkid Store on Saturday and I chanced to pick up an issue that was just sitting there, this one:




















At first I misunderstood, thinking that it would be just Rock 'n Pop Stars Old 'n' New saying what was on their current playlist. THAT I could live with! "Wow! Rihanna likes XTC! Who knew?" That sort of thing. But no, no, no. Look again at that cover.


I can write most of these myself:


Bono on Bowie?: I bet old Paul just fucking loves "Heroes."


Yoko on John Lennon: "'A working class hero is something to be. And John was.'"


Tom Petty praising the Dave Clarke Five: "Only thing missing that could have made these better was Roger McGuinn."


Oh, fuck - Arcade Fire asshole on fucking Springsteen? Make it stop!


I confess, I did look at ?uestlove's top Prince songs to see what I had to, er, seek out. But what really got me, what really made me slam the thing down in disgust was flipping to "Mick Jagger's Top Ten Blues Songs" or "tracks" or whatever the hell it said. Because, you know, Mick, at what, nearly sixty-fucking-eight, what he really, really likes to do is dislodge himself from one of Georgia's old schoolmates and press play with his bony finger to hear, what, some "Ham-hock Blues" by Sonny Boy McBloozersonsonton (1953), before going out to London's hippest nite spotz for a glass of Grey Goose'n'Ensure.


I can truly say that when Gawker or whomever lets fly with the news that the Stone has stopped Rolling, I shan't shed a tear.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Duh!

Nick said...

Or: follow!

Nick said...

or: David Fricke,ladies and gentlemen!