Wednesday, April 27, 2011

One hope I certainly hope



In Swimming to Cambodia, Spalding Gray relates his experiences as a featured player in The Killing Fields. He says that the director of TKF, Roland Joffe, had one of those pre-shoot meetings with the cast and crew to talk about what an important film it was that they were going to make, and generally got everyone geared up. See, this depresses me.



I have never been in a film (not even the long mooted shot-for-shot remake of Unzipped the Bride has repeatedly proposed [Chooch as ALT! YES!]), but I can only feel for people who are in movies that they know, when arriving on set, will be shit.



This springs to mind because I saw a poster for some Mr Popper's Penguins with Jim Carrey coming out, and then I could not clear my mind of some speech that some producer or the director might have made, about how this kids' movie would be different and become a favorite of generations' standing and aren't we all lucky to be here, etc. Fruit baskets sent to and fro, and wine! "Notes" exchanged...ugh!

I just hope that no such speechifying happened, and that the director merely tweeted, on morning of first shooting, "I'm as depressed as you all are. Moreso. Still, let's do this piece of shit."


I won't go Hollywood (obvs)!

No comments: