Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Scariest phrase in the history of language, possibly






Smashing Pumpkins to Reissue Back Catalog - Pitchfork



Get your black PVC jerkin out of your parents' storage unit! You can buy Machina II anew!




I have a sort of long history with these guys because I have been hearing about them since before Gish, or actually since their first single because Griz's dad put it out. Ask him about it (heh). But I have never, ever been able to fully commit. Songs too long, etc. I love "Mayonaise" but I also love both mayonnaise (the stuff) and "Purple Rain." And "1979" was good. "Today" made me feel blissful in 1993, at moments. So, yeah, that's about my history with these.



But, as with the never-ending parade of Morrissey rehashes, I cannot believe someone is taking the time to re-issue this stuff.. WHO is going to buy them? If they sell 5,000 copies of the one from whenever with "Doomsday Clock" on it, will these keep Billy afloat? What?



Also, something people never remember is that although Bartman screwed the Cubs' chances that time, there was STILL another play-off game after that, after the momentum was broken (if you don't follow baseball, ask the dude in the next cube who's working on his fantasy stats)...and, as Billy Corgan, dressed, if memory serves, in some Johnny Depp-as-bucket-hat-wearing-hobo ensemble, sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at the 7th inning stretch, I think his presence there leaves him equally culpable for one of the biggest crumbles/folds EVER.

No comments: