Thursday, December 1, 2011

Letters of EB White




I'm very slowly wending my way through The Letters of EB White. How's that for boring/pretentious/irrelevant? It's great! He's very witty. Some of his essays I have read, he seems sort of smug, but not here thus far. Plus it's interesting to see that there were 400K people unemployed in NYC in 1921. Etc.

But wait - why a picture of John Cheever then? Well, a week or so ago I was trying to find out Stephen King's sobriety date via phone and was lead to a great article somewhere (I've lost the favorite link when I had to clear memory off phone, alas...wait, let me look: http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/tom-shone/when-novelists-sober) which featured JC telling Truman Capote how terrible Smithers was, etc, and was struck by what a great illustration this was...I am paying tribute here by re-posting it with no credit whatsoever (hello, Chris!).

Still no Cheever content, though, you grouse. Okay, then: I will open a sandwich/hoagie "shoppe" where people will still dress like fucking human beings (for once) and sing Dartmouth fight songs and shit - I will call it Cheevesteaks. Mkay?

No comments: