Monday, November 24, 2008

Fenster!

This weekend was the 45th anniversary of the passing of JFK, and there were a few observations on the web and tv...but, so far as I could tell, another week went by without a dissection of Benicio Del Toro's baffling performance as Fred Fenster in The Usual Suspects.

What I really need to know here, and I already consulted the script to no avail (either I mis-hear or he adlibbed or something), is about a particular marble-mouthed mangling du Fenster. After Yunioshi (Pete Postlethwaite, who also RULES) tells them that they are all beholden to Keyser Soze for perceived harms done, the gang sits shaking heads and pondering...then Fenster says something like...well,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01sJxF9ys2I&feature=related

See, I thought it was "peerless butcher," and it's close to that. I'm still going to walk around saying "peerless butcher," because it is a free country for now and I can misremember movie dialogue for as long as I see fit.

No comments: