Friday, November 21, 2008

A sorta-irritating Friday afternoon noo-rock roundup!

Didn't know what else to call this hodgepodge...


Shocked that the TV on the Radio record is excellent, as has been extolled everywhere. I steer clear of these guys, or have, because they look like they are going to joylessly spout polemics and/or if you met them they'd want to talk about gear or something. Guitar models, pedals, etc (shudder). I always feared Mathrock from them as well, since the people I know who love them will also praise the awful Battles in the same breath. But this record is just great and bears many listenings. "Family Tree" is particularly gorgeous... [hey! forgot to mention {typing this three days later} that these guys calling their first LP OK Calculator was hilarious and still gets the corners of my cynical mouth turning upward whenever I think of it! Okay, carry on!]


Probably the biggest surprise of the last 150+ years is how good the new Killers record is. These guys I've always thought pretty weak, and there is only one true Killers, as we know (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbobacFiUY). But whether it's hanging around the UK all the time or proximity to Neil Tennant, something has turned them around 180 degrees from the crappy Springsteen-lite of their last LP. This has all the glistening 80s-ness (and some surprising "surprise" chords) of prime PSB and is indeed the best Thanksgiving-time new release since Beauty Stab! Mind you don't step on my obtuseness!



Outta nowhere (well, Idolator) I hear of Army Navy, who's self-titled LP is of a piece with such late-eighties stalwarts as the Cavedogs, House of Freaks, Reivers and (swoon) Let's Active, with a touch of someone else (Stephen Duffy?) I can't place and some lacerating lead guitars. If it were 1988, I would sit around skipping class and playing euchre to this, and watch Geraldo getting his nose broken.



Have only heard the three songs these guys have on their myspace, but cannot wait for the January release by the Australian band the Ronson Hangup, because they are actually called the Ronson Hangup.












And, as I am a pantywaist (had you noticed?), I was so happy to learn just this morning of a new Veils record coming early in the new year, as excited as I was for the Dears record and,as we know, I loved that. Plus Finn (Fin, with one n, maybe? I dunno), the singer, is Barry Andrews's kid, the Barry from Shriekback/XTC. So, yes, I look forward to wintry walks to the deli listening to a new LP by these. Here are two oldies from their first two discs (in order below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIi2EGNGp6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugOkKZQbZBk

No comments: