Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Love this 45 cover! See, now, 45s were blah blah blah...

This is the record sleeve for a single of "Mattress of Wire" by Aztec Camera. Oh, Postcard!
It came out in 1983 or so. Not one of my fave AC songs, either, but the chutzpah of saying "I'm Roddy Frame and I AM a boy king!" is fairly admirable.
I'd never seen this until the other day, so thought I'd share.
Roddy bums me out, actually. So many great songs and now he makes records with just him and an acoustic and a near-country edge, which then are released in Japan and other such collector-heavy territories. But if you can write "Oblivious," or "Orchid Girl" or even "Sister Anne" shouldn't you be made to sign a binding contract that you will continue releasing ace pop songs for eternity? Instead of trying to grow up or some cliche (to diminishing commercial returns)...I mean, it is his life, but I fear he's walking around Glasgow post-lunch right now and has friends who know him as Rod Frame and when they mention him to their friends in turn say "Oh? Rod Frame, the tennis player?" or something.
I mean, I'll send you our old Dr. Rhythm drum machine, if that'll help.

No comments: