Thursday, November 20, 2008

"You won't see this again."

Driving to work yesterday, saw the most peculiar sky, and it only lasted about five minutes. I thought my brother would freak out at this, and thought maybe I should call him to have him take a picture. Then, in the afternoon comes an email with pics, turns out he was fishing (go figure!) and took pictures of the lurid tableau.

I had thought I'd not quite seen anything like the sky yesterday, sorta corrugated, sorta looking like stacked layers of limestone in an excavated quarry, only rosy...and I really did think to myself "You won't see anything like this again."

Which put me in mind of NC Wyeth and how he was killed with his grandson on train tracks, maybe even on purpose. He told his grandson as they left the family compound "You won't see this again," (per David Michaelis's bio) which could be read as knowing something was going to happen, or that he was maybe given to a pantheistic sort of daily carpe diem-spouting. Messy!

No comments: