Thursday, November 20, 2008

Prince in exile

Hey! Prince! Wasn't it you who got jeered off the stage opening for the Stones in 1981 for being so femme, wearing a bra or something?

Who was it who wrote "If I Was Your Girlfriend?"

Now, I understand how one can get cranky as hits dry up. Really I do. And I am mostly on your side, staunchly! I mean, I was there in 1993 telling people that "Pink Cashmere" was good, I suffered the indignities of your taking "rappers" into your employ...hell, I even drove through an airborne toxic event (http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1632) to go see Under the Cherry Moon, and liked it! So I've been with you for a while. I even held out hope that when you slayed at the Superbowl, it was the beginning of a new Purple Era!

I sincerely hope, then, that your comments were, as you say, taken out of context. Cos you know, the New Yorker's fact-checking is among the worst (koff). But if you have nothing nice to say, kindly shut up. Many who love(d?) you still cling to the idea that the faulty hit-machine in your li'l noggin will one day reboot. But it doesn't help your cause to spew cheesy venom at a lot of folks whose lifestyles you pilfered from to your great gain.

I mean, c'mon.

2 comments:

Bricker said...

Did I see Cherry Moon with you, or Shappy? It was one of you, and Juok Pae at the drive-in in my father's dull red Volkswagen Beetle. I remember not being able to hear the movie at all, and thinking that drive-ins had been so much better when I was little.

Gustafer Yellowgold said...

Hey Nick,
I missed something (I'm obsessed with Harvey lately) - what did Prince say?