Friday, February 4, 2011

This is where it gets pathetic:

The one thing I really remembered, and that has stuck with me, was the 14-year old me seeing this thing and, as the band's train wends its way through Europe, being entranced by the views of suburban France out a train window...like, it's just dusk, and old Martin is looking out at the passing scenery and there is a brief view of a sort of train-track side cafe/station and the stuff around it. I can recall thinking "What are those people doing in those buildings on some French, autumnal [please, God!] night in 1982? Smoking, definitely. Deciding to divorce. Coming home from a day's work in a butcher's shop, with a stained apron folded under one arm!" This is how I remembered it, anyway.

Well, look!
















Now, a couple of things:
1. This feeling described above is about the same as that evoked when in Hannah and Her Sisters, old Babs Hershey is walking on a sort of dock by the water and looks across at distant lights across the way...I always wondered what was going on where those lights were, only in a more New York/New Jersey way...imagine the daughter of the deli owner trying to get over a breakup, say.
2. If I were a real artist, I would take cell phone pictures of ALL the scenes from movies/tv that I could find that evoked this same wistfulness, then have some art kids PAINT these scenes in a hyper-realistic Gerhard Richter way (including requisite out-of-focusness and video strobing, etc) and exhibit them! You know I fucking should!

No comments: