Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ray Eddy, racing superstar?

My dad told me once that my grandfather used to "disappear for months at a time."



"Huh?"



"Yeah, he'd get depressed and hit the road. That's why I spent summers in DC with Uncle Clifford..."



[grasping for relevance] "Was he drunk?"



"No, he'd just get low and take off."



?



I know very few things about my grandfather: he died of some sort of stroke at about 58, he drank a lot, and he loved motorcycles. So much so that my dad can remember there not being a family car, but rather a family Indian motorcycle with sidecar. My grandfather also once held some sort of motorcycle landspeed record for the state of Ohio, or maybe just the county...or his street.



So, my brother calls me the other day, in the midst of his busy day, to say that on some google search or other he came across the name Ray Eddy as a motorcycle champeen in the 30's in San Francisco and other parts of CA.



My question is, is it him? How many Ray Eddys were there who were reknowned for motorcycling?



I could ask my dad, but he'd just say "What?" and then hang up the phone in my mid-sentence, figuring the call was over.



Here is a pic of the 1938 whatever champion (I neglected to save the link and don't care THAT much), and some runners-up. These guys could have known my grandpa! He PROBABLY owed them money!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nick,
There was a Ray Eddy who raced Class C motorcycles in California in the late 1930s and early 1940s. He won the Pacific Coast TT Championship in Hollister, California on July 5, 1936, riding a Harley-Davidson. My late father, Armando Magri, raced against Ray and was friends with him. Ray lived in San Francisco. If you go to ArmandoMagri.com and click on the pages of racing photographs, you will find a couple of photos of Ray. He always raced Harleys, as far as I know, and raced with the number 8 plate. Class C was also called "run what you brung" as the riders rode to the events, removed lights, fenders, etc., and raced. It was how they raced in the Depression era.

If this Ray Eddy is your grandfather, I would be happy to help you find out more about him. Just contact me via the email address on the ArmandoMagri.com site. -Ken Magri