Friday, April 23, 2010

Secret Histories abounding

I came across an MP3 by a band called The Secret History which in time I checked out. I liked it! Songcraft and all that old-fashioned foolery! A singer who sounded like Kirsty MacColl! Tasty little late-80's guitar licks, of a type scarcely heard in these terrible times!

Well, today, I see on Brooklyn Vegan (yep) that they are 1.) old (hence the old-skool pre-Pitchfork values system in place -- no "woozy VHS-hiss moogs" here!), 2.) have a video where they use a friend who looks like the guy from Elbow walking around NYC in a mod parka (www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvmfsbT2Nfy ), and the lead singer girl (pardon the epithet) is MICK RONSON'S DAUGHTER [second left in pic]. Yes, read that again, Mike!

So, veddy interesting. Maybe they will open for Muse and I can miss them both!

Then that got me thinking about Donna Tartt and wondered how she was wasting her time these days: spray-painting mounted butterflies black, making tiny velvet costumes for pet hens, just generally being elven...her wiki bio had this:



In September 2008, it was announced that Tartt would publish her third novel
with Little, Brown and Co. The new novel, as yet untitled, is
a story of loss and obsession about a young man, guilt-stricken and damaged
after the death of his mother, and the growing power that a stolen piece of art
exercises over him, drawing him into an underworld of theft and corruption where
nothing is as it seems. Publication scheduled for 2012.


Zounds! A world where nothing is as it seems, huh? Sounds fresh! And here I thought she would write an uplifting page-turner about a kid from the rough streets with a million-dollar pitching arm!!

2 comments:

Taking Charge: Creating Conditions for Prosperity said...

Sorry you can't appreciate a book that doesn't contain the lines, "I'm hot and I'm thirsty and I will order what I fucking want."

Nick said...

Are you?