Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Two records from the early part of this decade



Wait - one is from 1998, I think. Whatever, man. Whatever.

Back before they went all Zach Braff-y, Massachusetts misanthropes Wheat released the amazing Medeiros. YOU need this. "Death Car" came on random this morning. Wait! Just realized I don't have the whole thing on my external hard drive...so I guess we ALL need this. Sorta slow, grinding dramatic songs. "Hey kid, it's summer again/grow your hair and let your muscles show through...you've been sleeping all summer long/smoking pot with your traintrack friends..." EPIC!


Then another friend asked me if I'd heard the second Monaco record (there was one!) from 2000. Um, no. So I dutifully got this, and actually laughed out loud, which is rare for me, at track three ("Kashmere"), when singer David Potts's faux Sumner-isms hit such a fever pitch that for a minute I was sure that I was NO keyboardist Gillian Gilbert. Or something. If the afore-written sentence makes sense to you , read on: this is the best New Order album since Technique. Or maybe it's the sequel to the good songs on Electronic's "Raise the Pressure." Whatever the hell, it's a total bonus in that it's quite good but doesn't need to exist at all. This album cover with the two of them in some womb-y, ambient future Manchester is brilliantly shit as well.

I also love this picture for singer Potts in his seeming junior-high music class:





No comments: