Thursday, August 20, 2009

Why I don't wish Maroon 5 dead

Back in 1997, my then-band was tapped to open for the local "alt"-rock outlet's festival doodad, with its requisite pile of then-relevant but stylistically disparate acts. One thing that was nice was that Veruca Salt played and Cory and I were into different ladies of same (hello, Nina!) and so, if a bomber (see below) were to come and bomb nearby WPAFB, we could then each repopulate the planet with the Veruca Salt of our choosing.

I forget who else was playing...Matthew Sweet, maybe? K's Choice (!)?

One of the other bands was a unit of four just-out-of-high-school kids called Kara's Flowers, who had been scooped up in the mid-90's frenzy to Build an Alternative Nation. The singer (and maybe more of them?) went on to form the fairly loathesome cougar-bar stalwarts Maroon 5.

Why I don't wish them dead, as I promised, is because during their soundcheck, their guitarist stage-left had a quick run through the main riff of "Tonight," off Supergrass's then-newish In It for the Money. My bandmates and friends looked at each other in drunken recognition that these guys were well sussed and I look at the rest of their poppy set with something close to approbation.

So, as whatever their big hit as M5 was (name seriously escapes me at the moment - "Love Slink"...[no - "This Love"]) blasts the lunchtime crowd at your local CJ Fuckbuddy's, the band are somewhere else, blissfully unaware at how close they came to axe of my death-benison falling on their collective head.

No comments: