Friday, June 11, 2010

ArmaGardenTone-eddon


Went to my fave weirdo evangelical-owned garden shop [the place with the READY FOR Y2K! stickers on the cash register] for a twenty lb bag of GardenTone. Struck up a conversation with a graying Saul Bellow-y dude, who said, tapping the bag, "That's a good product."


Me: "Yep, we loved it last year."


SB2: "Have you used the TomatoTone?"


Me [shyly]: "No..."

SB2: "Oh, it's great. The only problem is that the tomato plants grew over my garage..."

Then one of the owners rang me out and I asked them both about plucking. Saul2 said, no, he never plucked and when he was a kid, his uncle, who owned a greenhouse out in what's now Trotwood, never plucked, either, and, indeed, the tomatoes just grew over everything like kudzu.

Owner lady said her dad has always plucked, with great results.

So I was still in a quandary. I said (as earlier): How will I know I'm not plucking off the stem that could lead to a a prizewinner?

SB2: "Well, only God knows that."

Owner lady: [quiet sage nodding, as if remembering the Biblical enjoinder Be still and know that I am God]

No comments: